Registry Certified Copies of Official BVI Company Documents
As company incorporation agents our experience with the Registry of Corporate Affairs in the BVI means we can obtain company reports, certified copies of official documents held by the registry on any registered company.
A certified document is where the Registry of Corporate Affairs stamps the document to verify its authenticity.
The certified company documents from the BVI Registry can be Apostilled, they are signed and stamped by the BVI Registrar General to confirm the authenticity of the signature and registry stamp.
BVI Document Fees
- Company Search Report – by email £148
- Express Company Search Report – by email £220
- Certificate of Good Standing – £180
- Apostilled Certificate of Good Standing – £350
- Apostilled Certificate of Incorporation – £350
- Express Documents – an additional £75 per document
BVI Company Registry – Registrar of Corporate Affairs
The Registry of Corporate Affairs is responsible for ensuring that companies doing business in and from within the territory are registered.
The BVI Companies Act 2004 requires the Registrar of Corporate Affairs to maintain the following:
- Register of Companies incorporated under the Act
- Register of Foreign Companies registered under Part XI
- Register of Charges registered under part VIII
Company Incorporations and post incorporation filings are made electronically, which leads to fast, efficient and accurate turnaround of documents by the Registry of Corporate Affairs.
We can obtain company information and documents on companies formed in the British Virgin Islands from the Registry of Corporate Affairs.
The names of Directors and Shareholders do not appear on public record. On file at the Companies Registry are the incorporation documents, which include details of the Registered Office and Registered Agent – new companies in the BVI have to disclose their business activities.
An IBC company is not required to file accounts with the Registrar of Corporate Affairs. The documents which are filed and available for public inspection are the Memorandum and Articles of Association and the Certificate of Incorporation.
BVI Company Search
We can conduct searches at the BVI Registry of Corporate Affairs on any BVI registered company.
The contents of a BVI company search report include:
- Company Name
- Foreign Character Name – if applicable
- Previous Names History – Previous name, date from/ cease date of name – if applicable
- Company Registration Number
- Date of Incorporation/ Registration
- Type of Incorporation – Re-registration, New incorporation
- Company Type: private – IBC, PLC, LP
- Current Legal Status: in Good Standing, active but in liquidation. Struck Off, in Penalty, Inactive, In Liquidation (insolvent), In Liquidation (voluntary).
- List of Filings and attachments
- Share Capital
- Bearer Shares – if the company has ability to issue Bearer Shares
- Authorised Share Capital
- Class of Shares
- Number of Shares Issued
- Registered Agent
- Registered Office Address
- Last licence fee payment
- Register of Mortgages/ Charges filed at the BVI Registry (if filed at the BVI Registry)
- The date if struck off (if applicable)
- Register of Charges, whilst no requirement to file in practice they may be available. (company often files details of charges as the lender normally requires it)
- List of company filings – including date, transaction number, description of filing, status, general filing
- Registry Company Extract
- Certificate History – including type of certificate, transaction number and date of filing
- Register of Directors – It is a statutory requirement to file with the registry. However; a company can select to keep this information private, which is usually the case.
- Register of Shareholders – Filing this information is not a statutory requirement. This information is very rarely filed with the Registry of Corporate Affairs.
BVI Company Search Report – Timescale
The search report will be ordered from the BVI Registry of Corporate Affairs and delivered by email in 2 – 3 days.
We can provide an Express BVI company search report if your request is urgent.
BVI Notarised and Apostilled Company Search Extract
We can provide Notarised and Apostilled Company Search Extract, the search extract is the latest details on the target company filed at the Registrar of Corporate Affairs.
We can supply a Certificate of Good Standing from the Registrar of Corporate Affairs certifying the BVI company is on the Registrar of Companies, has paid all annual fees and penalties due, has not voluntarily liquidated and proceedings to Strike off the Company from the Register of Companies has not been instituted.
The Certificate of Good Standing is a document issued by the Registrar of Corporate Affairs of the BVI and the document certifies in pursuant of the BVI Business Companies Act 2004.
The Certificate of Good Standing includes the company name and company registration number. The certificate is provided from the Registrar of Corporate Affairs with an official stamp, seal and with the signature of an authorised officer.
Since 2014, certificates issued by the Commission’s Registry of Corporate Affairs bear an additional security feature which is a unique Certificate ID. The authenticity of a certificate issued by the Registry of Corporate Affairs can also be verified.
BVI Certificate of Incorporation
We can provide a certified copy of the original Certificate of Incorporation for a BVI registered company.
The certificate confirms the date the BVI company was incorporated and the Registrar of Companies certify that in respect of the incorporation all requirements of the BVI companies Act were satisfied.
If the current company status is Struck/ Dissolved only a scanned copy of the document can be provided by the BVI registry.
BVI Limited Partnership
With a BVI Limited Partnership incorporated under the BVI Partnership Act (No 5 of 1996) the incorporation documents is the Memorandum of Partnership. A copy of this original documents can be ordered certified from the BVI Registry of Corporate Affairs, this can also be provided Apostilled. This Memorandum of Partnership includes the company name, the registered office address in the BVI, name and address of the general partner upon incorporation and other details.
If a company was was not incorporated in the BVI originally but, transferred there; the certificate that can be issued is a Continuation into the BVI.
Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association
The Memorandum and Articles of Association are statutory documents that must be drafted and filed with the Registry upon incorporation of the company.
The documents govern how the company is to operate, its relationship with the outside world and the company’s constitution.
BVI Apostille Company Documents
We can supply Apostilled BVI company documents, they are certified by the Registry of Corporate Affairs and after which we obtain an Apostille certificate.
The Apostille certificate is issued by the Deputy Governor’s Office, which certifies the authenticity of the document.
The following company documents are available Apostilled in the BVI, Apostille/Legalised by the BVI Deputy Governor’s Office
- Certificate of Good Standing
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Company Search/ Registry Extract – this has to be notarised before it can be Apostilled
This Apostille involves the addition of a certificate attached to the document which is called legalisation and certifies:
- Country of origin of the company document
- Name and identity of the signature – capacity in which a document has been signed
- Official seal – Name of authority which has affixed a seal or stamp to the document
- Place, date and company document number
Registry Strike Off Letter
The Registry of Corporate Affairs can provide a certified letter confirming a BVI company was Struck off and Dissolved and this includes the date the company was dissolved and details of the government notice: pursuant to section 216 of the Companies Act 2004. This certified letter is dated, signed and stamped by the BVI Registrar of Corporate Affairs, this can also if required be Apostilled.
BVI Company Namecheck
We check that your company name is acceptable and is not already incorporated or if incorporated what documents are available.
We can provide a BVI company namecheck service for clients incorporating a new company in the BVI. We check that your BVI company name is acceptable and is not already incorporated with the Registry of Corporate Affairs.
Companies regulated by the BVI Companies Act are required to use a corporate suffix. Limited companies must end their name with either Limited, Corporation, Incorporated, Societe Anonyme, Sociedad Anonima, and their respective abbreviations such as Ltd, Corp, Inc and S.A.
To verify the details of an existing BVI company, we can provide BVI company search report and copies of official company documents filed with the Registry of Corporate Affairs.
Register of Directors
It is mandatory for a Register of Directors to be kept at the BVI registered office. There is a requirement to file the Register of Directors with the Registrar, this can be selected to be kept private.
Disclosure of Beneficial Ownership to Authorities
Disclosure of the beneficial owners is not required in the BVI and the share register may be inspected only by shareholders of the BVI company.
BVI Filing Requirements
In the BVI there is no requirements to file organisational or accounting information with the Registrar of Corporate Affairs.
Only the Memorandum and Articles are required for public records. The Registers of Shareholders and Mortgages and Charges may optionally be filed.