Obtaining a Spanish NIE Number
To be appointed as a Director or Shareholder of a Spanish company you will need an NIE number – Número de Identidad de Extranjero.
Obtaining an NIE number in Spain is a decentralised process – so in different regions the process will vary. This is because of the Padrón system, which breaks Spain down into smaller administrative regions.
- an appointment with the police to lodge the documents – takes around 10 days to obtain
- we visit on the first day to lodge the documents, and 7 days later pick up the NIE Certificate with your number
- Obtaining your NIE per director / shareholder – £460
- CIF/NIF number – £380
- Power of Attorney – £140
NIE Number by Power of Attorney
You will need to sign a dual language Power of Attorney, which we prepare for you and have signed in the presence of a notary. The notary will witness your signature and you then return the POA back to us where we will arrange for it to be legalised for use in Spain.
We will draft a double language Power of Attorney (English-Spanish) and instruct you how to get this legalised with apostille for use in Spain.
Obtaining the NIE number:
– we complete the application form
– pay the state fee
– make the appointment
– visit to the station with documents and submitting them
– return to the station to get the NIE document
NIE Number by visiting Madrid
If you can visit our office in Madrid, then we will accompany you to the Commissariat.
Notarial fee and recharge thereof and notarial copy of passport €200 and translator’s fee if a translator if needed €80
To obtain your NIE we will require:
- A Power of Attorney notarised
- Copy of your passport legalised for use in Spain
The Power of Attorney only gives us the authority to complete and lodge the application with the Commissariat, and obtain the document showing your NIE number.
Details we require for NIE application
- Full Name
- Passport Nº
- Date of Birth
- City of Birth
- Name of Father
- Name of Mother
- Marital Status
- Reasons for your request NIE
- Passport Certified Copy
Fiscal Identity Number for your Company in Spain (CIF/ NIF)
- NIF: The Número de Identificación Fiscal (NIF) serves as a fiscal identification number for those born in Spain, and is the Spaniards’ version of the NIE number.
- CIF: The Certificado de Identificacion Fiscal (CIF) is the tax number for all companies in Spain. It serves as the VAT number.
If the shareholder is a Company it will need an identification number, a Código de Identificación Fiscal (CIF) or Número de Identificación Fiscal (NIF).
We require a Certificate of Good Standing showing details of your company from the Companies Registry where the company is incorporated and this needs to be apostilled for use in Spain, which we lodge this with the general tax service – Agencia Tributaria in Madrid.
The company will be issued with an the identification number within a few hours.
Company Shareholder Documents required
French – require an updated KBIS form from the Registre de Commerce
German – require a HRB Certificate from the Handelsregistereintragung
Netherlands – require a Uitreksel from the KVK (Chamber of Commerce)
Spanish – require a Nota Simple from the Registro Mercantil
USA – require a Certificate of Status from the Division of Corporations
UK – require a Certificate of Good Standing from Companies’ House