Canada - Federal Company Formations
A Federal Company is entitled to carry out business anywhere in Canada. We can assist with all aspects of incorporating a Federal Company in Canada.
Advantages of a Federal Incorporation in Canada
- Increased Name Protection: A named federal company offers protection of your rights to the company name. A federal incorporation allows your company to use its name throughout Canada.
- Flexibility of Location: Incorporating under the Canadian Business Corporation Act gives flexibility in choosing a location for your company. The CBCA does not impose any restrictions on the province or territory where the registered office is located. It does not state where your company records are maintained nor where annual meetings are held. The CBCA allows meetings to take place electronically or outside of Canada.
- Worldwide Reputation: Once your company is incorporated under the CBCA, you will be recognised around the world as a Canadian company and will be seen as a sign of distinction.
Federal Incorporation in Canada
Our Federal Company incorporation package includes:
- NUANS Name Search Report of your proposed corporate name
- Preparation and filing of Certificate of Incorporation and Articles of Incorporation
- Provincial Government filing Fee
- Electronic filing of the incorporation documents
- Minute Book with Registers & Ledgers
- Shares Certificates
- Shareholder ledgers for each shareholder
- Preparation of Corporate Bylaws which sets out the organisation of the Corporation
- Preparation of the Register of Directors, Register of Shareholders, Register of Officers and the Stock Transfer Register
- Preparation of Organisational Minutes - covering the election of directors and officers, issuing shares, the form of share certificates and fixing the number of directors
- Delivery of documents by FedEx / DHL courier
Your Federal company name must have two elements:
- A distinctive element, being the main identifier of the company name
- A descriptive element, which describes the nature or activity of the company
Your company name may be in English or French. You may also choose to have a Numbered Corporation, where the company's legal name is the company number.
Your company name should distinguish your business and not cause confusion with any existing name.
Your company's name must end with Corporation, Incorporated, Limited, Limitée, Corp., Inc., Ltd. or Ltée.
NUANS - Federal Company Name Search Report
A NUANS (Newly Updated Automated Name Search) report is needed for incorporation in Canada. We offer a pre-search of the NUANS database.
A company name search will be submitted to the Federal government to register your company. It will establish the availability of your proposed company name by searching the registries, finding any existing conflicting names.
One of the directors must be a Canadian resident in some provinces
- Must appoint a President and a Secretary
- An officer can hold several positions (i.e. be President, Secretary and the Treasurer)
- There are no Canadian residency requirement for officers
Your company's minimum authorised share capital is CA$1 and there is no limit on the number of shares that your company can issue.
Registered Agent and Registered Office in Canada
Your company requires a registered office, to be the official address for the government authorities.
We can act as your registered agent and provide a registered office for your company.
Canadian Business Number
The Business Number is a unique federal government numbering system that identifies your company and its accounts with the Canada Revenue Agency and is used for the following business accounts:
- Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax
- Payroll deductions
- Corporate income tax
- Import/export duties and taxes
You will have to register your company in any province where you carry on business.